My latest article over at StarWars.com lands as I take a look at some of the US, UK and international covers for the novelisation of The Empire Strikes Back, from those initial releases back in 1980 right through the past forty years to the modern day.
On May 21, 1980, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back made its theatrical debut. To celebrate the classic film’s landmark 40th anniversary, StarWars.com presents “Empire at 40,” a special series of interviews, editorial features, and listicles.
This year the galaxy has been celebrating the 40th anniversary of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back — but it’s also the same milestone for the legendary sequel’s novelization. And it’s a book with a worldwide legacy all its own, including diverse and beautiful cover art. Here just some of the many editions that have released over the last 40 years…
- THE MANDALORIAN: The Mandalorian series follows a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy, protecting a mysterious alien pursued by bounty hunters on behalf of Imperial interests
- THE MANDALORIAN SERIES-INSPIRED DESIGN: Fans and collectors can imagine scenes from the Star Wars Galaxy with this 5-figure set with accessories, including a hover pram, jetpack, and 7 blasters
- ICONIC STAR WARS CHARACTERS: The Star Wars Mission Fleet 5-pack includes the Mandalorian, Cara Dune, IG-11, Stormtrooper, and The Child figures, featuring multiple points of articulation
- DEFEND THE CHILD: Boys and girls ages 4 and up will love pretending to protect The Child (lovingly referred to as “Baby Yoda” by fans) from the remnants of the Empire with the Star Wars Mission Fleet Defend The Child action figure set
- COLLECTIBLE TOYS: Look for other Star Wars Mission Fleet figures and vehicles to collect, swap with friends, or give as gifts (Each sold separately. Subject to availability.)