Last weekend I took a trip down to Orlando to visit Walt Disney World and run in the runDisney 2018 Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side! I’m new to running and when I started, my goal was to run a Star Wars 5k at Disney. And the timing was perfect! Joined by my sister Nicole and friend Amanda, we had a fabulous time running this race. It was definitely a well rounded experience, and well worth the thousands and thousands of steps we took that weekend! Disney does a fabulous job of making a huge event out of the weekend. Here are some highlights of running a Star Wars themed runDisney race:
- You receive updates leading up to the race and a detailed digital event guide.
- Disney provides transportation to the Health & Fitness Expo at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex and to the races.
- At the expo, you can print your race waiver, receive your race bib, get your t-shirt, shop at all the vendors, and shop at the official merchandise store! You can also take pictures with backdrops and characters!
- Each race goes through one or more of the parks. The 5k went through Epcot, the 10k went through Epcot and Hollywood Studios, and the Half-Marathon went through Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot.
- During the race, they play the Star Wars soundtrack all through the park! They even had Return of the Jedi playing on a large screen.
- You can wear a fun outfit and see many other creative costumes people made!
- Pre and Post-race entertainment.
- Get your photo taken with backdrops and characters!
- Official photographers are there to take pictures while you run. You access these by registering your bib with Disney Photo Pass.
- You receive an awesome Star Wars medal at the finish line!
- Lastly, you accomplish something amazing!
I definitely recommend doing a Star Wars runDisney race someday. The energy is amazing and the feeling of accomplishment can’t be beat. Plus, you get to spend time in the Disney parks and with other Star Wars fans!
For more information on upcoming races or to keep your eye out for the next Star Wars themed race, go to rundisney.com!