- Advertisement -

During a fantastic February day out at Edinburgh’s not-for-profit Capital Sci-Fi Con this year, I picked up a pristine condition vintage Snowtrooper. One of the finest examples I’ve seen from a 40+ year old action figure, albeit missing his cape. Not an unusual situation as many of his fellow brethren would also have suffered the same fate by losing their delicate during adventurous play or intrinsic component investigation, but no matter; this was a great figure to add to my vintage collection.

Fast forward a few days and my inquisitive nature found me enjoying an entertaining selection of toy repair videos by the talented Dave of Toy Polloi. Following watching his video addressing replacement Snowtrooper capes or the lack thereof, I set about gathering the materials and templates necessary. I ordered a multi-coloured inflatable beach ball, double sided sticky tape and some white-tack. Not quite the recipe employed by Dave, more a combination of his Snowtrooper and Imperial Guard techniques with a twist of my own.

The first phase was to print the free Snowtrooper cape template provided by Toy Polloi. This should have been the most simplistic part of the project but true to my form, became the most problematic. My printer was troublesome at the best of times, even more so during this attempt, as I soon discovered that my one year old Golden Retriever, Crazy Daisy, had used the cables as her teething soother, don’t worry as it was only ever plugged in during use. So, my printer was out of action but at least my dog boasted the wag of a two-tailed pup with a fine bright smile of beautiful teeth.

Cometh the hour, cometh the friend as my buddy Grant Allan stepped in and rescued my predicament by kindly printing Toy Polloi’s Snowtrooper cape template, along with a selection of others.

With supplies to hand all that was now required was a less than rare wet Sunday afternoon, which the reliable Scottish climate quickly accommodated, daughter and dad project was a go.

Given my lack of printing facilities, I decided to transfer the template from paper to a more resilient and reusable plastic form. However while I pride myself in organised storage, I regularly can’t find the exact thing I’m looking for when I need it. However, this hoarder, I prefer recycler, luckily within my supplies, I had some used A4 translucent plastic binder dividers which I had previously refused to bin, perfect.

I cut around the printed paper template, keeping to the inside of the grey lines, when freed from the A4 sheet I applied double sided stick tape to the edges. I then adhered the template face up underneath the plastic divider before again cutting around using scissors, making sure to cut the cape slots with a craft knife.

Now ready to cut material from the beach ball, my daughter could resist the temptation to at least give it one inflation before it made the ultimate sacrifice. In some ways this proved easier when cutting as it eased out some of the stickiness and creases.

The template was lined up on a segment of white beach ball then outlined using a pencil.

I scored the cape slots before removing the template then cut around the pencilled guide. When the cutting was complete, any remaining pencil markings could me easily wiped away using a finger or damp cloth.

Work completed, all that was required was fitting. The templates first slot was clipped onto one hook on the side of the figure before working around the rear and clipping the second.
One last thing, the plastic vinyl has a gloss (exterior) and matt (interior), I fitted with the matt side facing out, however you can apply per your personal choice and reverse if you change your mind.

So, here we are, one pristine vintage Snowtrooper complete with his new replacement cape, reporting for duty.

You might not see it, but this Stormie is happy on the inside.

Thanks Grant and Dave for your help making this possible.