There’s not been a zeitgeist-busting character from a major franchise as big as The Child since BB-8 and the Hulkbuster a few years back, and Lucasfilm are doubling down on the innate charm of the little guy by not only bringing us Mando Mondays loaded with Baby Yoda products as we count the hours to season 2 but also a look at the creation of those products. StarWars.com dive into this toyetic treat, the making of The Child Animatronic Edition from Hasbro.
That idea evolved into Hasbro’s The Child Animatronic Edition, which captures the imagination and truly brings the character into our galaxy. It’s about the same size as the screen-used puppet. It moves its ears, blinks its eyes, and tilts its head. It makes impossibly cute cooing sounds, right from the show. You can even lay it down for a Force nap. To paraphrase Darth Vader, it is pointless to resist being charmed.
“For this toy we pulled in a Hasbro team of experts with experience on various brands that utilize animatronic technology. One of the biggest challenges we faced was incorporating as much lifelike motion as possible, all while using simple mechanics in order to keep the toy at an affordable price point,” says Stratford. “Our team explored many different materials in order to make The Child Animatronic Edition look and feel like it does on The Mandalorian series.”
- SERIES-INSPIRED SOUNDS: Touch the top of The Child Animatronic Edition’s head to activate sound effects inspired by The Mandalorian, including happy and excited, giggles and babbles, tired and sleeping, and Force effects sounds
- ANIMATED TOY: Features motorized movements, including a head that moves up and down, ears that move back and forth, eyes that open and close, and more
- FORCE ACTIVATION: Boys and girls ages 4 and up will love patting The Child Animatronic Edition’s head 3 times for Force activation, in which the animatronic toy will raise its arm, close its eyes, and sigh, as if using the Force
- FORCE NAP: Pretending to channel the Force takes a whole lot of energy and requires a lot of rest. Lay The Child toy down and it will close its eyes and take a “Force nap”
- STYLED AFTER THE DISNEY PLUS SERIES: Inspired by the fan-favorite character from The Mandalorian, this 7.2-inch-tall Star Wars toy by Hasbro includes a removable Mandalorian pendant necklace and premium soft goods robe