A long time ago, Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance was launched. 21 years ago in fact, but looking at the work that the people of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade are doing in the classic space fighting game, you wouldn’t think it was from the 90s. They’ve added dynamic cockpits, modern lighting, upgraded all the navy models and even ported it to VR.
Below is a comparison between the original game and the updated version that will make your midi-chlorians flow:
If you don’t already know, I’m a huge fan of Retro games. I even have a channel about it (in Portuguese, of course), and I often find dedicated communities supporting old games. This one surprised me; the people behind this project have been working on the game for 20 years, expanding their original plans, from updating the ship models and touching up everything in the game. The basic game remains intact, but the visuals are stellar, and I would have no problem carrying it into a space battle or ten.
There are several mods running in the video above, but all are downloaded from one place. In addition to shaders, cockpits and scenery, most ships need to be installed individually. It will take some time for you to remount this scenario, but the results are worth the effort. They even have support for VR.
We are still a few days away from Star Wars: Squadrons, but you can already get a taste of what the game will be like, and who knows; maybe with two sensational spaceship games, one based on the classic era and the other in the most recent Star Wars battles we can take flight once again.
- Master the art of starfighter combat in the authentic piloting experience Star Wars: Squadrons
- Step into cockpits of starfighters from the new republic and Imperial fleets and fight in 5 vs. 5 space battles
- Take control of starfighters such as the X-wing and Tie fighter and customize your load-out and cosmetics
- Learn what it means to be a pilot in a thrilling Star Wars single-player story set after return of the Jedi
- The New Republic fights for freedom. The Empire demands order. We need you to join the galaxy's finest