It was one of the major fantasy films of the 1980’s, a Lucasfilm production that not only used the powers of ILM to their full extent but also featured future Star Wars director Ron Howard in the big chair based on a story by George Lucas. Now, at the 2020 Sundance Festival, Howard confirmed that not only is Willow back, but another former Lucasfilm writer is involved.
“We are developing Willow for Disney+, and I don’t know about directing or not, but Jon Kasdan is writing, he’s very passionate about it, great job. We don’t have a green light yet, but if it goes, I’ll certainly want to roll up my sleeves and be a part of that, because that would be great, to revisit that world.”
[I]n this world of these event series, they really do look to the showrunners and the key creatives to tell them their vision. It’s one of the reasons why TV has gotten so good, is that they really are looking at the showrunners as authors of something that they’re deeply passionate about. And Jon is deeply passionate about Willow, which tickles me to no end.”
And the star of the show – as if there was ever any doubt – will be the star of the 1988 classic.
“Warwick Davis is going to be in it and so yes, I think it’s safe to say it’s decades later.”
No word on the status of Val Kilmer, but exciting news that another classic from the Lucasfilm archives is being revived.
Howard spoke at Sundance, and here’s a brief rundown of the Star Wars related topics he discussed:
• Did he get to see Bryce Dallas Howard’s episode of The Mandalorian before it aired?
– Yes, gave her notes, she ignored most.
• Would he want to direct an episode of The Mandalorian?
– He doesn’t have time.
• Does the studio tell them what they want for Willow or do the creators decide?
– Not greenlit yet, but wants to be part of it.
• When does Willow take place compared to the movie?
– Decades later.
• Toxic fandom and Star Wars
– Comes with the territory. Lucas warned him. He was prepared for it.
• Any Solo deleted scenes that still haven’t been seen?
– Doesn’t think so. All went on Blu-ray.
• What was it like having his daughter Bryce Dallas Howard shadow him on the set of Solo?
– Wasn’t sure how actors would react. She convinced him to do it for a couple of days. Everyone loved her. She a had a couple of suggestions which he used.