Hardly surprising news, but the Academy are considering cancelling the 2021 Oscars after the devastating effect the coronavirus has had on the filmgoing experience and the movie industry.
The sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, say definitive plans are far from being concrete at this juncture. The telecast is currently set for Feb. 28, 2021, on ABC.
Under the usual rules, a film must have a seven-day theatrical release in Los Angeles County to qualify for Oscar eligibility. But for this year, films released digitally can qualify if the studio had originally planned a theatrical release. “I think everyone is sympathetic to the filmmakers’ plight and we’re here to support our members and the film community,” Rubin said. “It makes sense when we don’t really know what’s to come in terms of the availability of theatrical exhibition. … We need to make allowances for this year only and during this time when theaters are not open so great film work can be seen and celebrated.”
The new rule changes also include allowing Oscar-qualifying theatrical runs to take place in New York, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta and the Bay Area, instead of just in Los Angeles.
- BASED ON A CLASSIC STAR WARS GAME: This retro board game is based on the Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back Ice Planet Hoth game by Kenner, released in 1980
- EXCLUSIVE LUKE SKYWALKER (SNOWSPEEDER) FIGURE: Attention Star Wars fans and collectors! The Star Wars Hoth Ice Planet Adventure board game comes with an exclusive Luke Skywalker (Snowspeeder) figure
- DEFEAT DARTH VADER: Win battles against 4 Imperial enemies: Stormtrooper, Probot, AT-AT, and Boba Fett. Earn enough Force to defeat the final foe, Darth Vader to win the game
- MILLENNIUM FALCON TOKENS: Move around the gameboard using one of the 4 Millennium Falcon tokens, or use the Snowspeeder token
- GREAT GIFT FOR STAR WARS FANS: The retro Star Wars game makes a great gift for Star Wars fans and collectors of Star Wars memorabilia; This board game is for ages 8 and up, for 2-4 players