Earlier this week, Lucasfilm revealed the cast list for the new Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney Plus series and it’s pretty damn cool! They got some cast in there that I expected, but some actors I never expected to see in a Star Wars property. Seeing this multi-cultural cast reminds me of Rogue One, and I’m super looking forward to seeing it on my small screen. Allow me to break it down for you, complete with internet rumors, original thoughts and sarcastic comments.
- Ewan McGregor: Obi-Wan Kenobi himself. McGregor is a fantastic actor and I look forward to seeing what else he can bring to this character. He’s got a lot of guilt to work through, perhaps some physical battles as well as mental ones. He’s essentially becoming Alex Guinness.
- Hayden Christensen: This is beyond cool casting. Will he be playing young Anakin, fighting with his master/brother during the Clone Wars? Will he be an imaginary character, a familiar face that Obi-Wan can talk to at night? Or will he be Darth Vader, giving us one final massive lightsaber battle between Vader and Obi-Wan – one where Obi-Wan still thinks Anakin can be saved? Yes, I’m referring to a battle between the two that takes place after Sith and before A New Hope: legendary.
- Moses Ingram: I don’t know anything about this actor but she has mentioned playing with lightsabers in preparation for Kenobi. Perhaps an Inquisitor. However, Twitter has pointed out that she looks an awful lot like Aftermath Imperial Officer Rae Sloan.
- Joel Edgerton: Also coming back since the Prequels is… Uncle Owen, the crotchety uncle of Luke Skywalker (who’s a moisture farmer and will be one for life). I can’t wait to see him finally go face-to-face with McGregor, arguing about who Luke should grow up to be. I know Edgerton has played a MMA fighter and a Navy SEAL, so he can pull off the possible physical nature of being a moisture farmer in the Tatooine desert.
- Bonnie Piesse: She didn’t have much of a role in the Prequels as Aunt Beru, but she is also reprising her role in this series which is great! Unfortunately, the only thing I’ve seen her in since Revenge of the Sith is The Vow. The Vow is a documentary that showcased the damage the self-help cult NXIVM wreaked upon its members. She played a major part in that doc, showcasing her fall in to the cult and painful journey out of it. Based on that, I hope this series is a new beginning for her acting career. As Beru, time to show some steeliness and motherly instincts.
- Kumail Nanjiani: I don’t know his acting outside CGI characters in Men in Black or Dolittle. He’s very funny. He’s also gotten ridiculously ripped for his upcoming role in the MCU’s Eternals. The big rumor on the Internets is that Nanjiani will be playing Anakin’s little podracing buddy Kitster. He fits the age group and his presence as that quick throw-away little character would be a neat surprise.
- Indira Varma: I’ve seen this actor in a bunch of different series and she always delivers a great job. The big rumor for her is that she’s playing Satine, the leader of Mandalore. That would mean she’s Katie Sackhoff’s sister and Obi-Wan’s previous love interest. I would support this if it means seeing more Mandalorians, but her character was a pacifist before being killed by Maul. So flashbacks of a doomed romance? Obi-Wan’s and Satine’s relationship is the exact opposite of Anakin’s and Padme’s – a relationship that was quashed by them, for their sense of duty and honor.
- Rupert Friend: An actor I know nothing about! On IMDB, it shows he usually plays a soldier, spy or aristocracy. Perhaps an Imperial Officer? A high muckity-muck moisture farmer?
- O’Shea Jackson Jr: Do you know who this is? ICE CUBE JR!! He played his own father in Straight Outta Compton, a Keyser Soze-type in Den of Thieves and a soldier in that last Godzilla. He has great charisma on screen and I’m looking forward to seeing him in the Star Wars
- Sung Kang: It was only a few weeks ago that I mentioned Sung Kang should play Aphra character Just Lucky after watching him in the Fast and Furious Plus, his alias in those movies was Han Seoul-Oh. So seeing him in a legit Star Wars property was surprising. No doubt playing some kind of outlaw.
- Simone Kessell: The KESSELL Run? Get it? No, seriously, that’s pretty funny. She’s had a pretty long run as an actor, so she could literally be anybody.
- Benny Safdie: Apparently he’s primarily a director (Uncut Gems) but I know Deborah Chow is the director for the whole Obi-Wan Kenobi He’s also old school New York through and through. Wonder who he will play? A Mos Espa crime-type?
I was a little surprised not to see Liam Neeson – Qui-Gon Jinn – or Temeura Morrison – Captain Cody. But I suppose there has to be some surprise casting during the season.
- The Mandalorian to life with this talking action figure of the notorious bounty hunter