It’s recently come to my attention that Hasbro recently revealed their new 2021 The Black Series action figures. Where was I? I have no idea, but I want to join in. From what I can see, Hasbro usually unveils around 4 figures at a time. However, I’ve seen online contests that ask for around 10 choices on what YOU want The Black Series to offer. I’m not much of an action figure collector but I think this kind of thing is fascinating and super-neat from a graphic design point-of-view.
Here are my top ten choices….
- Boba Fett [The Mandalorian]There are plenty of Boba Fett action figures, but none from the brand-new canon series The Mandalorian! Complete with faded and pitted paint job, Maori-style Gafferdi stick and of course firing missile! Also need to see a removable helmet with Boba’s scarred face.
- Ochi of Bestoon [Darth Vader comic series]Not the dead guy from Rise of Skywalker, but the bad-ass Sith assassin from the new Darth Vader comic series…
- Bollux and Blue Max [The Han Solo Adventures]This one is truly old school. Bollux and Blue Max were from the original 1980’s Han Solo book series. Bollux is a Labor Droid while Max is an advanced slicer droid (a li’l blue cube) who literally lives in his chest cavity.
- Ren [The Rise of Kylo Ren comic series]The original Master of the Knights of Ren. A scarred Dark Side Force user with a cool face mask and red lightsaber.
- Avar Kriss [The High Republic]The main Jedi in The High Republic book Light of the Jedi. She’s a Jedi in her prime during the prime of the Jedi. A classical-looking warrior with a cool-looking lightsaber.
- Original Human Jabba the Hutt [Star Wars]This one is a bit unusual. Before the Special Editions of the original movies, Jabba was played by a human being (Declan Mullholland, who is probably as Irish and 1977 as he sounds) in a giant fur coat. He had a whole scene with Han Solo after the Greedo scene that was cut from the original theatrical release. The artists at Lucasfilm then took out human Jabba and replaced him with a younger-looking slug than the one first seen in Return of the Jedi.
- Cobb Vanth [The Mandalorian]The Marshall of Mos Pelgo. I want all the red highlights, the rough armor and weaponry. I want the armor to look as ill-fitting as it does on film. Plus a firing missile. Oh, and Timothy Olyphant’s face and facial hair.
- Lourna Dee [The High Republic]A twi’lek Viking space pirate with a cool mask and staff. She definitely needs to come with a removable mask so you can see her emaciated lekku (according to The Light of the Jedi).
- Durge [The Clone Wars comic series and cartoon]From the original Clone Wars Tartakovsky cartoon and Legends comic book series. He just looks cool, he has a Mandalorian symbol on his chest armor and he’s basically indestructible.
- Don-Wan Khihotay [Original Marvel Star Wars comics]A crazy old man who thinks he’s a Jedi from the 1980’s Marvel Star Wars He has a lightsaber, a Don Quixote mustache and beard, and of course, armor. There aren’t any action figures from those original comics, and I think they should be acknowledged as the red-headed stepchild.
So, any chance of any of these getting made?