Questions of authenticity first postulated by Mark Hamill regarding a lightsaber offered for auction resulted in it being pulled. The auctioneer explained inconsistencies in the items history as the basis for removal.
But fans and bloggers raised questions about the prop online.
The lightsaber was expected to sell for up to $200,000 (£157,000).
In a statement reported by Reuters, Profiles in History chief executive Joe Maddalena said they had cancelled the sale of the weapon “in light of conflicting information” about its origin.
Mr Maddalena said they would not put it back up for auction “until Mr Christian can clear up the inconsistencies that have been brought to our attention”.
It had been listed as a lot in the Blockbuster Hollywood Treasures auction, due to take place between 11-14 December.
Mr Roger Christian told the BBC it was one of five original lightsabers made for the film, saying: “It is real – I’ve got the Oscar to prove it.”
The Academy Award-winner said the film’s low budget meant he was putting together lots of different elements to make the props, meaning all of them were unique.
“I was supergluing things together – they all look different.”
Last week Mark Hamill weighed in on the subject.
Be Advised-There was no ONE lightsaber I used in the films, but many, MANY, both for myself & my stunt-double. Multiple duplicate back-up props are commonplace during production-When the handle ridges were cutting my hands, they even made a few w/ soft sponge ridges! #BuyerBeware https://t.co/C6Tv4TGIPy
— MarkHoHoHoHamill (@HamillHimself) December 4, 2018
One thing about this story is for sure, it’s not over yet.