LEGO, in an effort to find an environmentally conscious way forward as the century progresses and alternatives to plastics become more and more vital, are pondering the idea of a rental scheme for LEGO.
The Financial Times has reported that Lego is looking at offering a rental service to customers, as the demand for more environmentally friendly products continues to soar.
Lego has faced criticism over its overwhelming use of plastic and has tried to find alternatives to fossil fuel-based plastics; a quest which is proving challenging for bricks with “clutch power”, although certain pieces are already starting to be made from alternative plastic options.
Tim (Brooks, vice product responsible for sustainability) admitted that the idea was in its early stages and that company had already identified potential “technical barriers”, which included the high piece count of many Lego sets. “What are the chances of giving them to an eight year-old child and getting them all back again? There is a lot of technical thinking that needs to be done…we are right at the beginning of that.”
He went on to say that a rental scheme as just one of several ideas being looked at, in order to extract the highest value from products while consuming the least resources. Lego has expressed the desire to balance value to the consumer with generating revenue streams.
- Immerse your LEGO Star Wars fan in galactic adventures with this unique AT-ST Raider model building kit with lots of play-starting features! It makes a perfect holiday gift for all Star Wars collectors
- This collectible raider model includes 4 LEGO Star Wars minifigure characters: The Mandalorian, Cara Dune and 2 Klatooinian Raider, plus 3 blaster rifles and a blaster. There's plenty to get the Star Wars action started straight away.
- This Star Wars collectible building AT-ST toy has lots of features to inspire young minds, including jointed posable legs, a turning turret that opens and 2 firing shooters.
- Inspire boys and girls aged 8+ with this LEGO brick version of the AT-ST Raider from the hit TV series, The Mandalorian. This toy raider building model fosters both imaginative and creative play and sets the scene to play out LEGO action battles
- This 540-piece LEGO Star Wars AT-ST Walker collectible model kit measures over 9-inch (25cm) high, 5-inch (15cm) long and 5-inch (13cm) wide.